East vs West- compatibility or contradiction?

Home Forum Discuss and Talk Alternative Medicine East vs West- compatibility or contradiction?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Anna Anna K 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Amina
    amina
    Participant

Hi everyone,

So me and my friend (who studies western medicine) were having a conversation today about the way in which most people see a clear east/west medical divide. at least from the point of view of the average med student in the UK, there seems to be the notion that the two systems clash and we’re warned repeatedly that eastern or ‘complimentary’ medicine interferes with western systems and can be harmful even to the patient.

so what are your guys’ thoughts on that? i know there are a lot of myths on this subject but do you think there’s any truth to it? or is it more just rejection out of not knowing enough? should it be a case of use one or the other? and to what extent do you think there’s harmful clashes if any?

sorry for the long post! just wanted to hear your thoughts :D

Admin
    Z
    Keymaster

Eastern and Western medicine is a long and vague term. yes there are dangerous Chinese herbs and some herbalist simply do not know how to use them for treating, this should be avoided, even masters in herbology are hard to come by these days, its not as simple as looking at a herbs benefits and taking it a few grams a day – thats how how it works.

but in terms of acupuncture (needling) and western medicine, there really shouldn’t be any problems.

Also with qigong (which is part of a healing system) – it should not affect western medical systems at all.

Lexi
    Lexi
    Participant

I don’t think there should be any overlaps to be honest if you have a good acupunctusit. By no means a proper acupuncturist myself yet but like, pharmacutical drugs are a different story all together.

But at the same time, I could see specifc instances where for exampe, the drug being used itself is not ideal for the patient e.g creating a toxic environment maybe and some herbs may reverse the effect of that drug making it seem like its interfering? Just a thought really.

Admin
    Z
    Keymaster

well there are herbs that can interfere with medicine, but if you are with a reputable acupuncture doctor, then there is nothing to worry about.

EricKim
    EricKim
    Participant

Yes That is a vague term. But I know what you mean. You mean the Pharmaceutical industry.

Which is not real medicine. What you are referring to as ‘Western medicine’ is Quackery….the doctors are quacks. Which may be a harsh pill for your friend to swallow, but it is reality.

The pharmaceutical industry is fake. It looks to be a pure profit scam thats not only purely concerned with profit with complete disregard to health.

Not only that but its quite literally, Fake medicine. Let me illustrate.

All of he drugs you get from Doctors and pharmacies are the synthetic, chemical and lab derived versions of Medical herbs.

They take a chemical copy of real traditional medicine thats been working for thousands of years in real western and even eastern medical traditions.

Take aspirin for example its common to know that it came from the herb Willow bark. Whats not so common to know is that every single other drug came from traditional real medicine. Its how they get the ideas.

How can anyone think some new system thats just been recently put into place could beat any traditional system thats been around for thousands of years like Native American, Greek, Egyptian.

Its the same as Cannibus, compared to Synthetic Cannibus.

he whole herb works energetically and feeds and heals the body.

The synthetic just mimicks like 3 chemicals. And lacks the thousands of other chemicals, and enzymes, and minerals, and amino acids, natural herbs have.

I live in harmony with ‘western medicine ‘, its Ok to take drugs in an emergency, but the doctors are toddlers when it comes to medicine , they really don’t know much.

Admin
    Z
    Keymaster

thanks for the detailed comment Eric – whilst it is true that a lot of the pharmacutical is based on natural medicine, which is reversed engineered, it still has its place, and that is why for treatment of serious diseases like cancer, we try to combine both Daoist acupuncture with treatments like chemo and radiation therapy.

Amina
    amina
    Participant

thanks everyone, I really appreciate your replies.

@Eric, to be honest ‘western medicine’ is quite a broad term, but speaking of the synthetic drugs category alone, I can understand what you mean with them being largely derived from natural sources- the theory behind that being to make the ‘active ingredient’ more potent, but obviously this may then miss out on the holistic mechanism its original, natural counterpart would have- bringing out a lot of side effects too.

However, despite its disadvantages, surely the examples of healing from it show that it can also be of benefit? the mechanisms may be different, and the approach more course compared with eastern techniques, but anything that heals can’t be ‘fake’ medicine right, even with its flaws? surely, like Z said, other therapies can be used in conjunction with the western meds and fill in for where they are lacking?

Amina
    amina
    Participant

@Z, yes I can see what you mean with some dangerous herbs and people not knowing how to use them – that also applies to pharma drugs too i guess- anyone who doesn’t know what they’re doing could make medicine into a poison :/

Anna
    Anna K
    Participant

Hi Amina,
    that’s an interesting thought, did you have specific clash in treatment in mind?

My mother is currently taking acupuncture treatment for her stomach pains following some type hernia in that region which the doctor said would be okay despite my mother taking some medicine for it.

Amina
    amina
    Participant

hi,
    to be honest, I didn’t have anything specific in mind, I just wondered how much there really was to the scare stories we’re told in medical school- how people have taken ‘alternative therapies’ and ended up worse off or had herbal/drug clashes. I know st John’s wort vs a lot of western drugs is something thrown around quite a lot, but wasn’t sure of others.

so did your mother improve with the acupuncture or the medicine? :P

Anna
    Anna K
    Participant

Yes, I can see why, so little understanding of ‘the other side’ I suppose.
    She is doing better, although if I am honest I don’t think the medicine helped much but she was pleased with the treatment :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.